Lebanon Blast | The Lebanon Prime Minister has said that he will not rest until the perpetrators of the tragic accident are found and given the maximum punishment.
A deadly blast rocked a port in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, yesterday. The blast rocked the city of Beirut.
The Lebanese health ministry said 80 people had been killed and hundreds injured in the crash.
The perimeter of the scene was severely damaged. The impact of the crash was also felt on an island 200m away.
A state of emergency has been declared in Beirut for 2 days. In addition, the work of calculating the damage spread over distances and rescuing those trapped is ongoing.
A fire broke out near the building where the blast occurred about 3 hours earlier. Those who were on duty to put out the fire were enchanted by the explosion. Fears that they may have perished persist.
The Lebanese government has ordered a high-level inquiry into the crash. Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the accident was caused by a highly dangerous explosive ammonium nitrate chemical stored in a warehouse at the port.
A 2,750-run ammonium nitrate chemical stockpile has been stored for six years in a storage depot in the port of Beirut that could endanger people without following any safety procedures. This is why this accident happened. This is unacceptable.
I will not rest until I find the culprits and give them the maximum punishment, ”he said.
#LebanonExplosion: According to Red Cross figures, at least 100 dead and about 4,000 wounded in the explosion of approximately 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored in the Beirut port warehouse. "Large parts of the Lebanese capital has been devastated," said PM Hassan Diab. pic.twitter.com/7T1eUVFfkp— Mojo Story (@themojo_in) August 5, 2020